An Appalachian Summer

Beyond the performance – a gateway to our campus
Thursday, June 28, 2018

An Appalachian Summer Festival kicks off next week with “something for everyone” — from the youth film series, to classical music ensembles, to Kool and the Gang. The festival also includes a rich variety of educational opportunities.

Now in its 34th season, the festival provides a gateway to the university and our community, attracting visitors from across the state and nation. This year’s first-day sales were higher than ever — a testimony to the diligent and inspired work of the Office of Arts Engagement.

The festival, like so many of our programs, would not be possible without private support — 57 percent of the budget is covered by contributed income; the remaining 43 percent is funded by ticket sales. This support from our donors ensures a continued commitment to both quality programming and affordable ticket pricing.

More than 8,000 school children from the region attended performances on campus last year. In addition to the performances, students often visit the Turchin Center for the Visual Arts, tour the campus and enjoy meals in our dining hall — experiences that broaden their own expectations about a future that includes a college education.

Arts programming at Appalachian extends far beyond An Appalachian Summer Festival. Performances presented by the Hayes School of Music and the Department of Theatre and Dance showcase students and their teachers, as well as world-renowned master artists and performers. Exhibits and showcases from the Department of Art in the College of Fine and Applied Arts celebrate the traditional and expose us to exciting new ideas and platforms.

With great appreciation for our staff, faculty and student workers, as well as the artists and our supporters, I look forward to attending many of the events over the next months. I hope to see you there!

/s/ Sheri Everts

Sheri Everts, Chancellor