Search Committee for Athletic Director Announced
Dear Members of the Appalachian Community:
On August 15, 2014, I shared the news that Charlie Cobb had stepped down as Appalachian’s director of athletics to join the athletics program at Georgia State University. I promised to update you as more information was available, and I am pleased to announce the formation of the search committee. The following people have graciously agreed to serve.
- Brad Adcock, Trustee
- Frank Aycock, Faculty Senate Representative and Professor of Communication
- John Blackburn, Former Trustee and Former Board of Governors Member
- Heather Brown, Women’s Golf Coach
- Jim Fox, Men’s Basketball Coach
- Avery Hall, Trustee and Former Athlete
- Logan Hallock, Football Player and Member of Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Alan Hauser, Chair, Faculty Athletics Representative and Professor of Religious Studies
- Jamie Moul, Associate Professor of Health & Exercise Science and Former Member of Athletics Council
- Susan Pettyjohn, Vice Chancellor for University Advancement
- James K. Reaves, President of Alumni Association and Former Athlete
- Jonathan Reeder, Assistant to the Chancellor for Athletics
- Carson Rich, SGA President
- Debbie Richardson, Senior Associate Athletics Director
- Jean Roberts, Director of the Learning Assistance Program
- Alice Roess, Trustee and Member of Athletics Council
- Tommy Sofield, Former Athlete and President of US Buildings, Inc.
- Neva Specht, Associate Dean of Arts & Sciences and Member of Athletics Council
- Sarah Warnock, Softball Player
This search is extremely important to the future of our student-athletes. I thank the members of this committee for their willingness to serve and, especially, Dr. Alan Hauser for agreeing to serve as chair. Recognizing the critical role athletics plays in supporting the academic mission will be paramount for the person selected to fill this position. By setting the vision which values these young men and women as students first, and creating a supportive infrastructure that recognizes the amazing dedication and work ethic they embody to participate in their sport at the college level, the new athletic director will ensure Appalachian Athletics is a source of pride for our university for many years.
I extend special thanks to Interim Athletic Director Rick Beasley for stepping in during this time of transition and to the Appalachian community for its engagement. As always, more information will be shared as it becomes available.
Sheri N. Everts